Wednesday, May 1, 2013

How do you say . . .

One of my students asked the following:
  • How do you say "Have a fun time" in Kazakhstan?
If anyone from Gymnasium #10 could answer this, it would be great!

Until we hear from you, here's my best shot at answering.

Remember, there are two major languages in Kazakhstan: Kazakh and Russian. 
I learned a little bit of Russian before I went on this trip, and I think that you would say it like this in Russian: весело провести время.  That would sound kind of like "vesyela prehvesti vrayma."  If you want to say to someone, "have a good time" I think it would be said like this: весело проведёте время (pronounced "vesyela prehveedyohtya vrayma).  

Unfortunately, I did not learn how to say very much in Kazakh beyond "rakhmet" (thank you) and "kesh zharyk" (good evening/greeting).  I will definitely need a student from Gymnasium #10 to tell us how to say "have a fun time" in Kazakh.  

 

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Dent,
    You translated it correctly. However, usually we say "повеселитесь" (pronounced "povesilites") or "проведИте время весело" (provedIte). It means you wish someone to have a good time. And if you say "весело проведёте время", in Russian it sounds like you mean that it will be a good time whether it won't, declare it or even insist on having fun.

    In Kazakh I think it would be said like this: уақытты көңілді өткізедi (uakytty konіldі otkіzedi).

    ReplyDelete