Thursday, April 18, 2013

On recess, playgrounds, and sports

Recess/Break

  • Do the children get break, recess, or free time?
  • Do students have a break like us too?
  • What are some of the favorite and most common sports that the kids play at recess?
Students do not have recess like we do. They have breaks between classes that are between 10 and 15 minutes, and they are free to go outside and play at this time. I did not see them playing sports during this time, but mostly running around and playing with each other or just hanging out. It might be different in later spring when the weather is more predictably warm.

Playgrounds

  • Do they have a playground at school, because I know we don’t?
  • Do they have playgrounds in Kazakhstan?
Gymnasium #10 does not have a playground, and I think that most schools also do not. They had a large field which was shared by them and another school. However, there are many, many playgrounds here! I saw a small community playground in nearly every square between 4 or so apartment blocks. They are small; here is one example:

Sports

  • What sorts of sports do they do other than swimming?
I surveyed one class, and they did the following sports and activities in addition to swimming:
  • soccer
  • hockey
  • basketball
  • tennis
  • karate
  • gymnastics
  • horse riding
  • volleyball
  • track and field
  • dance
  • chess

4 comments:

  1. Seeming, they don't do alot. Could you find out for us what they like to read there.

    -Simeon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simeon, they read lots of different novels; Russian novels and novels translated from other languages into Russian. They even have Гарри Поттер, or Harry Potter. I'll post a photo of the book cover.

      As to the authors and books they like, I will let you ask the students from Ust-Kamenogorsk when I return and we establish a communication link. Many students here are eager to write back and forth to you!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Mr.Dent
    Did you have a good jorney to Almaty? Are you all right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lera,
      Mrs. Niemela and I had a great trip to Almaty. On our plane I sat next to a very nice Turkish man who has lived in Almaty for twenty years. It was a good chance for him to practice his English and for me to keep working on my Russian.

      Did you see Simeon's question above? I'm going to post a new blog entry asking students from Gymnasium #10 what books they like to read. If you want, please tell your friends how they can find this blog to send in their replies.

      Mrs. Niemela and I were so sad to leave Ust-Kamenogorsk! You were all so welcoming and made us feel right at home. Thank you!

      Delete